Log in / create account

Endpoint: T.T.G. Studios

created on: 11/04/2022
by: detum (10613)

Brand properties

General info :
Discogs syntax (T.T.G. Studios) preferred over Wikipedia syntax (TTG Studios).

TTG Studios was a recording studio in Los Angeles, California, co-founded in 1965 by recording engineers Tom Hidley and Amnon "Ami" Hadani.

The studio was located at 1441 North McCadden Place in the Hollywood section of Los Angeles, near the intersection of Sunset Boulevard and Highland Avenue. Originally the home of the Hollywood Knights of Columbus, the building was built in 1927, an active period in Hollywood, as nearby buildings Grauman's Chinese Theatre, the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel and the Hollywood Athletic Club all date from the same period. In 1960, Radio Recorders converted the ground floor billiards room and half the lounge into a recording studio to form their Sunset-Highland Division, which housed the Blue Network and other entertainment-related companies.

TTG was co-founded by Tom Hidley and Amnon "Ami" Hadani, who had both previously worked with MGM/Verve Records and A & R Recording in New York before relocating to Los Angeles in 1965 to found TTG. The studio's name did not stand for "Two Terrible Guys" as has been mistakenly claimed, but rather was adopted from the name of a Jewish Brigade formed after World War II whose name was an acronym for the Israeli slang expression "Tilhas Tizig Gesheften", which roughly translates to "up your ass".

TTG leased 1441 North McCadden Place, converting the second story main hall into a large recording studio that could accommodate up to 100 musicians. Meticulously and innovatively designed by Hidley with a high decibel level threshold, the studio became popular with the up-and-coming rock musicians of that time, including The Monkees, Eric Burdon, Frank Zappa and The Mothers of Invention, and Alice Cooper. Burdon introduced Jimi Hendrix to the studio and Hendrix "raved" about the studio's sound.

TTG installed one of the first 16-track tape recorders, which was custom built by co-owner Hidley, at a time when 4- or 8-track recording was still the norm. Jimi Hendrix used this machine at TTG in October 1968.

TTG went out of business in 1985, and building was sold to Yoram and Peggy Kahana, owners and directors of Shooting Star International, a photo agency. The agency retrofitted the cinder block structure, restored the main hall and third floor balcony to their original state, and moved into the building in December 1990. The Kahanas kept and upgraded the ground floor recording studio, which is now occupied by their tenants Wax Ltd, the multi-platinum production and songwriting record label of Wally Gagel and Xandy Barry, and WICK Studios, a photo and video rental production studio.
Source :
Copied Wikipedia parts under license :
ENA's T.T.G. Hollywood


(1 items)

Item number : 47918

Submitted by : detum (10613)
on : 11/04/2022